Monday, July 30, 2012

Moist, Dense, and Delicious...


describes the carrot cake that I am sharing today. I can't take credit for this easy and delicious recipe because I found it on the back of Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour bag. When I read the recipe it looked easy enough, so I gave it a try and have been making it for the past year whenever I want a quick and simple desert. If you can grate a few carrots and chop some walnuts, you can make this easy recipe. I usually make the cake and not the frosting, but I thought I would give the frosting a try so I could taste it to see if the recipe was good enough to post, and it is : )


Here is the recipe from the back of the pastry flour bag, and the credit that was given to the woman who created the recipe...

Carrot Cake
This uncommonly moist and flavorful Carrot Cake recipe was the "Grand Prize winner" in a recent Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods Baking Contest. Thanks to Nola Silver of Seattle, Washington for her baking skill and recipe.

1/2  cup Brown Sugar                         2 Eggs
1/2 cup White Sugar                           1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Canola Oil                              1tsp Cinnamon

Mix all ingredients well. Add the following:

1 cup Bob's Red Mill                           1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
          Whole Wheat Pastry Flour         8 ounces Crushed Pineapple, Drained
1 cup Grated Carrots                            3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder

Mix. Bake at 350 degrees F. in a greased 8"x8" or 9"x9" pan until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. About 50 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting 

3 Tbsp Cream Cheese, softened*               1/2 tsp Vanilla
3 Tbsp Margarine, softened**                      Powdered Sugar, 1/4 to 1/3 cup***

Using a wooden spoon, whip the cream cheese, margarine and vanilla until smooth. Sift in the powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, and stir until a creamy smooth frosting is achieved.

*I just used 2 oz. as it was easier to measure.
**I used butter instead of margarine.
***I used 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.

And that was that! Mmm...now I must go finish off that piece of cake I used for these photos.



I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy it as much as I do!

Time to get posting over at...


Photobucket

http://salttree.net/

11 comments:

  1. Yum. Carrot cake is one of my favorites, though, I've never made it before. You made it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am sure I must be dribbling - I LOVE carrot cake. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake sounds heavenly! Carrot cake is my husbands absolute favorite!!! I am making this for sure. I love that it is made with whole wheat! What a great reicpe... and blog!!!! So happy to find you!
    I would love you to join me for ON THE MENU MONDAY, my weekly linky foodie/recipe/menu party. I hope you will come over with your great recipes and share them with us! Link goes live Sunday evenings at 8:00.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cakes looks moist and wonderful and the recipe quite easy :)
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sitting at the computer, ready to go looking for a cake recipe to make for hubby and your carrot cake appeared. Perfect. I am going to print up your recipe and I do thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love carrot cake! we would love for you to link up some of your recipes over at our party!

    http://baked-inthesouth.blogspot.com/2012/07/made-it-by-monday-link-party_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrot Cake is my husbands absolute favorite. I will have to make your version for him.

    Thanks so much for sharing at Mealtime Monday! I can't wait to see what you link up tonight.

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, this recipe is looking great... did you use fresh pineapple or canned?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been making this quick carrot cake for years. I first saw it on the pastry flour bag just as you did. When I wanted to pin it, I used your site. Thanks for putting it online. It's an easy and very delicious recipe. You don't even have to use a mixer.

    ReplyDelete